- Tuesday, 22 September 2020 at 5:19 am
The Commission for Gender Equality in the Public Sector is pleased to announce that on 22 September 2020 the Victorian Government released the Gender Equality Regulations 2020. This is the first stage of regulations relating to the Gender Equality Act 2020.
The regulations came into effect alongside the Act on 31 March 2021. They help clarify parts of the Act and make it easier for certain defined entities to meet their obligations.
Under the regulations:
- The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) is not required to assess its own compliance with the Act. This will reduce the risk of a conflict of interest.
- School councils do not have obligations under the Act, as they do not have the necessary capacity or resources. School teachers are still covered under the Act.
- Local councils are able to get the Commissioner’s help to resolve disputes relating to systemic gender equality issues.
- Universities’ reporting periods under the Act align with their existing requirements under the federal Workplace Gender Equality Act 2012. This reduces duplication of effort.
The Commission conducted wide-ranging consultation while developing the regulations, including with VCAT, universities, the Victorian Principals Association and Victorian Principals Association of Specialist Schools Victoria, and local councils. The Commission would like to thank everyone who took part in consultation and helped to shape the final regulations.
If you have any further questions please contact us.